Courses FAQs

Do I have to pay for IELTS or other external examinations?

The fees for any examinations you wish to take while studying at Berlitz Manchester are not included in the course fees advertised in our price list. If you wish to take IELTS, for example, it will cost you approximately £150-£200

For details of the costs of any other external examinations, please contact us on: [email protected]

How do I know what level I am?
When you arrive at the school, you will take a written and oral placement test so we can decide which level you are and place you in the right class. If you have a question about the level you have been placed in, speak to the DOS.

How fast will I progress
Each student is different when it comes to learning English. Your progression really depends on your length of study and, most importantly, your commitment. Our teachers are ready to give you all the advice, encouragement and assistance you need to develop your English skills as thoroughly as possible. Furthermore, the school’s computer facilities, library and frequent excursions can all help you to improve.

Can I visit my host family before I decide to stay with them?
In all cases, this is not possible and certainly not necessary. Our application form asks you to provide specific details of any accommodation requirements you have and we endeavour to find a host that matches these requirements. If you are not happy with your host family when you arrive, you must inform us straight away. If you want to leave your homestay, you must tell us two weeks in advance.

Can I choose my teacher?
All teachers rotate on a twelve week cycle. Please understand that this may change due to staff taking holidays or sick leave. It is good for students to have a variety of teachers who teach in different styles with various teaching backgrounds to enhance your studies.

Can I change my level?
This will depend on your results in the weekly tests and your overall performance in class. If you feel you are ready to move before the level is finished, talk to your teacher to see what they think. If they think you are good enough, they will then confirm it with the DOS before allowing you to move.

How do I get a letter for police registration, council tax / bus pass etc
You will need to fill in a form to request the letter. You can find the form on the reception desk. When you have filled it in, hand it to the reception staff. Letters can take one day to process. You should receive it a day after it is completed.

Can leave the school before my contract ends?
We cannot offer any refunds on uncompleted courses.